Atlanta Hawks show teacher appreciation with gift cards, Clorox
It’s part of the Atlanta Hawks’ “Year of the Teacher” initiative.
ATLANTA — Several Atlanta teachers are getting well-deserved appreciation.
Nine Atlanta Public School teachers receive a $500 gift card for school supplies and more than $10,000 in Clorox products.
The Atlanta Hawks honored these educators throughout the 2021-22 season for their “exemplary contributions of service throughout an unprecedented school year.” This is part of the team’s ‘Year of the Teacher’ initiative.
“It’s been an honor to recognize local teachers all season with our partners, the Atlanta Hawks,” said Tad Kittredge, vice president and general manager of The Clorox Company. “These are the heroes who give so much, especially guiding students through the uncertainty of the past two years, and it’s a small way to show our appreciation and support.
In addition to Clorox cleaning supplies for their schools and a gift card for supplies, teachers will also receive two tickets to a Hawks home game and be recognized in-game as an honorary co-captain, according to a team statement.
Here are this season’s winners for “Year of the Teacher”:
- Charles Astin – FL Stanton Elementary School second grade teacher
- Dorothy Chu – Grade One English Teacher for Morris Brandon Elementary’s Dual Language Immersion Program
- Ce’Zane Grant – KIPP Woodson Park Academy sophomore teacher
- Christine Mitchell – Science and math teacher at Coretta Scott King Young Women’s Leadership Academy
- Deserae Obong – Humphries Elementary Special Education Teacher
- George Parker – Interdependent special education teacher in grades four and five at Harper-Archer Elementary School
- Dr. Benita Simmons – Usher-Collier Elementary School STEM Specialist
- Gaynell Troy – Eighth grade math and computer science teacher at Herman J. Russell West End Academy
- Yesenia Visoso – Bilingual preschool teacher from Garden Hills Elementary
The team chose these teachers after accepting nominations from the public throughout the season. A jury then made the final selection, ultimately deciding who would receive the final prizes.